Toolkits & Programmes
Here are a few Environmental Education for Sustainability resources for teachers. Note that this is just a selection and there will be numerous resources in each local area. Contact your local council for advice on where you may get support or further resources specific to your location.
- Environmental Education for Sustainability - Ministry of Education
- Food Waste Lesson Plans from 'Love Food Hate Waste'. (Primary)
- Towards a Waste Wise School - publication from Nelson and Tasman Councils, for teachers and school boards. (Primary)
- DOC Conservation Education
- Pūtātara – a call to action - Incorporating sustainability and global citizenship across the curriculum in Aotearoa New Zealand. This resource supports schools and teachers to develop learning opportunities that are place-based, inquiry-led, and focused on participation for change.
- NZ Education - school resource on environmental footprinting (PDF poster) and associated teacher's notes.
- Transform - a visual arts based investigation of waste. (Word document download)
- Plastic Pollution Coalition education resources
- Science Learning Hub Pokapū Akoranga Pūtaiao
- Enviroschools is a nationwide programme supported by Toimata Foundation, founding partner Te Mauri Tau, and a large network of regional partners. Early childhood centres and schools commit to a long-term sustainability journey, where tamariki/students connect with and explore the environment, then plan, design and take action in their local places in collaboration with their communities. (Primary and Secondary)
- The Garden to Table programme is changing the way children approach and think about food. All around the country, we want to see children enthusiastically getting their hands dirty and learning how to grow, harvest, prepare and share fresh, seasonal food. (Primary)
- Growing Kiwi Gardeners - We help early childhood educators to develop gardening programmes for under 5’s. (ECE)
- Litterless Lunches
- DOC National Education Programmes
- Learning Experiences Outside the Classroom - Learning Experiences Outside The Classroom (LEOTC) is a Ministry of Education curriculum support project. It is a limited and contestable funding pool supporting community-based organisations to provide students with learning experiences that complement and enhance student learning, in alignment with the national curriculum.
- Environment Canterbury Youth Engagement and Education - provides programmes and resources for education providers in Canterbury.
- EcoSolutions is part of CBEC, a Northland social enterprise whose aim is to create jobs and protect the environment. EcoSolutions has been working with Northlanders for over 15 years delivering environmental education and projects with schools, businesses and the community. Our vision is to give people the tools, support and inspiration to live lighter on the environment. To find out more about what we do check out our services.